Directory of Ministries
St. Damian is a vibrant community with many active ministries. Would you like to put your faith in action by joining a ministry?
Look through the complete list of Parish Ministries that follows. Items in blue are links to more information.
If you would like more information about any of these ministries, you may contact the Director of Ministries by filling out the form at the end of the listing:
PRAY - Spiritual Life:
• Altar Servers: 5th through 8th grade boys and girls who assist priests at liturgies. Training begins at the end of 4th grade.
• Christ Renews His Parish: Faith Formation program for adults 18 and over.
• Dayprayers: Parishioners who pray daily for the pastor and leadership of St. Damian.
• Divine Mercy Chaplet: Prayed communally in the Chapel on Fridays after 9:00 am Mass.
• Eucharistic Adoration: Wednesdays from 9:30 am - 7:00 pm in the Chapel.
• Intercessory Prayer: Teams of parishioners who pray with those in need of prayer.
• Men's Spirituality Group: Parish men seeking to grow in their faith and relationship with God.
• Ministers of Care: Parishioners who bring the Eucharist to the sick and homebound.
• Ministry of Music: Parishioners who provide music vocally and instrumentally in worship.
• Prayer Group: Parishioners dedicated to strengthening their personal relationship with Jesus through prayer.
• Rosary and Fatima Devotions: Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday at 8:30 am in the Church. Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday at 7:30 am.
• Sacred Heart of Jesus Holy Hour: Thursday from 6:30 - 7:30 pm in the Chapel.
• St. Peregrine Healing Prayer Service: St Peregrine is the Patron Saint of cancer patients. St. Damian offers a St. Peregrine Healing Prayer Service every first Wednesday of the month at 7:00 pm in the church. The Healing service is for all illnesses, with special prayers said to St. Peregrine. Prayer teams for private intentions will be available after 8:00 pm.
SERVE - Human Concerns
• Elizabeth Ministry: Elizabeth Ministry is an outreach to women to affirm, support and encourage them in response to their needs during the childbearing years and beyond.
• Embracing Memories: Support group program for those who have lost a loved one.
• Food Pantry: Parishioners who collect and distribute food to the hungry.
• Greeters and Ushers: Parishioners who welcome and direct people as they come to worship.
• Helping Hands: Parishioners who provide special services for those in need of assistance.
• Isaiah Ministry: Parishioners donating handmade shawls & lap blankets to the sick.
• Little Lambs: 4/5 year olds learn about God while their parents attend 9:30 am Mass on Sundays.
• Ministry of Bereavement: Persons who bring support, strength and hope to those who have lost a loved one.
• Ministry of Health: Programs throughout the year focused on health issues and screenings.
• Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS): Mothers who meet monthly for faith sharing while their children are cared for.
Volunteers needed for child care.
• Nursery: Free babysitting for 1-3 year olds during 9:30 am Mass Sunday. Volunteers needed for child care.
• Peace & Justice Ministry: St. Damian Parish's Peace and Justice Ministry mission is to provide leadership to determine the best way to carry out this call for Social Justice and to promote Peace. Ensuring that through awareness and education, everyone is afforded the opportunity to live a life of dignity. Jesus calls us to be Christian witnesses by acting upon our faith to promote social justice.
• People Embracing Life: Support group continuation after the Embracing Memories program focusing on social events.
• Respect Life: Programs dedicated to the Church's teaching on the sanctity of Life.
• St. Vincent DePaul Society: Parishioners who grow in holiness through service to those in need. SVDP is an international non-profit organization dedicated to serving the poor and providing others with the opportunity to serve. The Chicago Diocesan Council has been assisting Cook County and Lake County families since 1857.
BELONG - Parish Life:
• Athletic Association: Sponsors athletic programs for school students.
• Parish Council: The purpose of the St. Damian Parish Pastoral Council is to bring together all elements of the parish in order to develop to its fullest potential, a loving Christian Community. Members of the PPC serve our parish by providing leadership for special events and projects that emphasize the spiritual and service aspects of our Christian faith. Responsibilities include communicating with and supporting the efforts of our parish ministries as well as provide counsel to our pastor.
• Ethnic Liturgies: Special liturgies throughout the year.
• Garden Club: Parishioners that beautify the parish campus with flowers and plants.
• Home School Ministry: Mass for homeschooling Moms and children at noon on the 3rd Thursday of the month followed by a luncheon.
• Knights of Columbus: St. Damian branch, Catholic fraternal organization.
• Men's Club: Social group encouraging friendship among men of the parish.
• Parish Resource Table: Provides "Welcome" packet and informational resources about our parish ministries and events.
• Scouting: Programs for children focusing on their physical, mental and spiritual development. Boy Scouts please contact Fr. Jerry Scanlan through the Pastoral Office 708.687.1370.
• Women's Club: Social group for women with planned activities.